Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate/Tori/Alanis

From: Alexandra Hess <hess.83@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 12:49:41 -0500
Subject: Kate/Tori/Alanis
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hello all-

I have been very quiet for the last few months, but I now have something I
feel I must respond to-

Kate/Tori Amos-The only connection?  Soprano voices, long hair, people
really like to photograph them, and they both play the piano.  And the fact
that a lot of Kate fans are Tori fans as well.

Kate/Alanis Morrisette-The connection?  Long brown hair.  That's it.  Kate
is a very talented musician who is diverse in what she can do.  She can
sing, play the piano, write, arrange, produce, name it.  Alanis started out
as a made from the studio pop child reminiscent of Debbie Gibson, but her
publicist was better and told her that she should change her style using
the alterna shiny pants male hater idea rather than the sex diva method.
She would be able to sing, if she were not trying so hard to make her voice
sound different.  And I will give her a writing credit, but the help she
requires from Glen Ballard, Mr. Wilson Phillips and other pop groups I
fortunately have forgotten cancels that out.   It takes way too much
creative effort to compare Alanis to Kate.  Alanis has way too much rage
and is marketed to appeal to MTV, while Kate, as much Kate stuff there is
out there to buy and read and hang on your wall, is all about the music.
But I have to get Alanis a little credit for she was on one of my favorite
tv shows when I was a kid.

There is my 2p.  Hope I did not offend any of you lot.

Xan