Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and Witchcraft (was Re: Lily)

From: "Michael R Clrak" <StCloud@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 22:12:19 GMT
Subject: Kate and Witchcraft (was Re: Lily)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

mabinkums@aol.com wrote in article
<19961202005500.TAA29768@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> Does this song suggest that Kate is into witchcraft of some form or
other?
> It seems like it...

  'into' might be the key phrase here.  "witchcraft of some form or
another' is a very big field.  From what I can tell of all her lyrics
(taken as a whole), Kate has a very basic knowledge of both Adamic (Old
Testament, natural magic) and Golden Dawn (Aleister Crowley) types of magic
(or magick, if you want to get picky).   Personally, I don't think she has
much more than a passing knowledge of these, no more than she has with any
other area of mythology.
  So, I can say yes, she's "into" it, but with this qualifier, only "into"
it the way she could be said to be "into" Zeus or "into" Orgone Theory or
"into" the Devil or "into" angels.
   I would like to suggest to everyone reading this that Judaeism (and, by
extension, Christianity) came from a tribal religion with rituals that
might seem barbaric and language that might seem "witchly" to modern
sensibilities.  Any artist that digs into the history of these religions
for influence will probably sound pretty "witchly".  To think that Kate is
into witchcraft because of the opening passage and tone of Lily is akin to
thinking that the Bible is about the Devil.
  I know it probably doesn't answer your question, but that's what I see.

Jennifer StCloud