Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

tori-bashing

From: "Brian J. Dillard" <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 12:33:05 -0800
Subject: tori-bashing
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Dear Love-Hounds,

Brian Dillard here - a former member returned to the fold as a lurker
these past few weeks. I have graduated from Michigan State, landed a job
at an Internet site in Chicago, and rejoined this list because I finally
have the ease of net-access to make it possible to keep up. Looking
forward to the excitement that Kate's next album is sure to generate on
this site ... oh, sometime between now and 2000!

But to get to the point at hand: All this Tori-bashing.

I get really anti-Tori every time I try to deal with her through the lens
of Kate. The sophomoric attempts to be obscure and arcane; the
content-free lyrics; the album cover art swipes (yes, I know--her art
director had never seen TKI. Whatever.)

On the other hand, when I listen to Tori without thinking about Kate, I
get a lot out of it. Sure, BFP had about five-to-14 hit-to-miss ratio.
But those five good songs on it--Caught a Lite Sneeze, Not the Red Baron,
Professional Widow, Father Lucifer, and Putting the Damage On--would make
a helluvan EP, eh?

My point is this: Kate doesn't seem too concerned about anything Tori has
"borrowed" from her, so why should we be upset? Listen to Tori for Tori's
sake and get over it.

Brian Dillard
dillardb@pilot.msu.edu