Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TAFKAP

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 23:00:18 -0800
Subject: Re: TAFKAP
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Richard Bensam wrote:

> Karen wrote:
>
> >I submit that one of the reasons TAFKAP admires Kate so much is that she did
> >years ago what he has only now been able to do.  When she was in conflict
> >with EMI she built her own studio, took control of rights to her work, told
> >them she'd be back when she was darned good and ready, and went home to
> >compose.  She refused to be treated the way record companies treat those
> >they can make money from (if you heard how they treat Nusrat and his
> >accompanists you'd be appalled!)
>
> Beg to differ respectfully on one point.  I've never seen evidence that
> Kate experienced any serious conflict with EMI, unless you're referring to
> the punishing schedule forced on Kate to promote her first album

Au Contraire!

After the disappointing sales of "The Dreaming," EMI tried to
force a new producer on Kate so that she wouldn't come up with
something quite as experimental. This is perhaps the thing that
prompted her to develop her own studio the most -- though she'll
cite creative freedom and rented studio costs if asked.

Robb