Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TAFKAP

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:07:30 -0500
Subject: Re: TAFKAP
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Karen wrote:

>I submit that one of the reasons TAFKAP admires Kate so much is that she did
>years ago what he has only now been able to do.  When she was in conflict
>with EMI she built her own studio, took control of rights to her work, told
>them she'd be back when she was darned good and ready, and went home to
>compose.  She refused to be treated the way record companies treat those
>they can make money from (if you heard how they treat Nusrat and his
>accompanists you'd be appalled!)

Beg to differ respectfully on one point.  I've never seen evidence that
Kate experienced any serious conflict with EMI, unless you're referring to
the punishing schedule forced on Kate to promote her first album ("If this
is Tuesday, there must be a backdrop with a volcano behind me") or the
somewhat hasty release of Lionheart.  By record industry standards, this is
exceedingly little to complain about!  Her dealings with her label seem to
have been remarkably trauma-free, especially when compared to the way other
artists have been treated.  I don't think this was due to any particular
benevolence on the part of EMI, but Kate was able to demonstrate fairly
rapidly that it would be better for all concerned if she was in control of
her own career.

Now for my seemingly obligatory bashing of Prince/TAFKAP/glyph/The
Artist/Skippy: basically, he whines a lot.  He has never been particularly
oppressed by any of his labels, he has been given huge sums of money to
squander on lavishly self-indulgent projects, and he has consistently
alienated scores of talented people.  I think he's a genuine musical
genius, but a reprehensible person...and the problems he complains about
are largely of his own creation.

If there's anything he should learn from Kate, it's how to treat people
with decency and respect -- the people who have worked with her speak of
her in glowing terms.

Total agreement on everything else you said, natch!

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/