Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lisa Germano in Alternative Press

From: "Sawyer, Keith" <Keith.Sawyer@FMR.Com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:59 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Lisa Germano in Alternative Press
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

SEAN TWOMEY  <twomeys@acadamh.ucd.ie> writes:

>This indie singer (?) was interviewed in the November issue of
>Alternative Nation about her influences and she went on about Kate
>having been an influence ( I browsed through the magazine in a record
>shop here in Dublin ...so can't quote her ...sorry )

The magazine you're mentioning is Alternative Press, #100.  To celebrate
their 100th issue they created a list of "100 Underground Inspirations of
the Past 20 Years"  There are a few sidebars where artists describe specific
influences - one of them being Lisa Germano on Kate Bush.  The text is as
such:

___________
"Q:  Who's your biggest influence?

LG:  What usually influences me is any artist that hits me as genuine or
hits me with a different sound, or the lyrics aren't typical.  But I really
don't have a particular person.  At one point I really started to relate to
Lou Reed, because he can't really sing, and neither can I, so that gave me
faith.  Maybe you don't have to be able to sing well; maybe you can just
express what you think.

But there was a point when Kate Bush was a big influence for me, and the
reason was, I truly couldn't stand her.  But at a certain point I was dating
somebody, and he had the record The Hounds of Love, and it was like, "I love
this, but I never liked her before."

Q:  Can you point to anything in your work that you feel is a direct
influence?

LG:  The reason it was inspiring was, what did it hurt Kate Bush to have
some girl in Indiana not be able to stand her and then years later really
like her?  It gave me this strength that is still there, that if people
don't like what I do, I have to make sure I am genuine in doing what I do,
so that it won't hurt me.

Q:  And have you ever met or seen her?

LG:  No.  Anyway, she hasn't toured since 1979, and that was when I didn't
like her.  You couldn't have paid me to go and see Kate Bush back them.  And
I don't like her now, either.  But there was that certain period when she
pushed me to do something."

____________

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but an open-minded acknowledgment,
anyway.  Steph Bush does a much better job describing her music that I ever
could - suffice to say she doesn't overtly sound like Kate - she has her own
angular style (which Capitol attempted to smooth out).

Finally, Kate is *not* one of the 100 Underground Influences in the
magazine.  However, the article does not state these are the *best* or
*most* influential, though the field they do cover is quite comprehensive.
 The magazine tends to have a strong anti-XTC bias and they included them,
though...

keith

"I broke my promise that I wouldn't write another song about you" - Mark
Eitzel (American Music Club)