Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lisa Germano on Kate .....

From: sbush@mail.utexas.edu (Stephanie L. Bush)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:19:59 -0600
Subject: Re: Lisa Germano on Kate .....
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>Hi all,
>
>This indie singer (?) was interviewed in the November issue of
>Alternative Nation about her influences and she went on about Kate
>having been an influence ( I browsed through the magazine in a record
>shop here in Dublin ...so can't quote her ...sorry )
>
>What is the name of the band she is in ?

Lisa Germano is a solo artist.  She has three albums out:_Happiness_, _Geek
the Girl_ and _Excerpts from a Love Circus_ (I'm unsure about the exact
title of that last one, it's a brand new release).  She used to be the
violin player in John Mellencamp's band.  I haven't heard the new release,
but _Geek the Girl_ is a fine album.  Don't be too put off by that John
Mellencamp connection;  there's not a lot of musical similarity there, at
least to my ears (but then I've never been a fan of his).  Something else
interesting in relation to all this talk about Kate and Prince and artistic
control/record companies.  Lisa Germano recorded _Happiness_ for Capitol,
and was very unhappy with the mix, so she moved to 4AD, where she records
now.  BUT, Capitol released _Happiness_, as did 4AD, so there are 2 extant
versions of this album.  I've never heard the Capitol release, but it would
be an interesting example of just exactly how record companies compromise
artisitic vision for the sake of commercial appeal.

steph