Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Indian Actress look/acts/dances/sings like Kate

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 23:29:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Indian Actress look/acts/dances/sings like Kate
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

David wrote:

>I rented this recent video release from India (subtitled) called "Kudah
>Gawah" starring this famous Indian actress named SriDevi.  She looks like
>Kate Bush!  She is a master Indian Classical Dancer and pop movie
>star--Georgeous.  The dancing looks so much like Kate Bush I was blown
>away!  Even the singing style is reminiscent of Kate Bush.  Obvious that
>Kate Bush has had classical Indian dance training.  But also felt that
>somehow SriDevi was influenced by Kate Bush  Rent the movie!  Has anyone
>seen this?

Interested parties may check
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~sandych/sridevi.html and make up their own
minds.  Personally, I don't see that much of a resemblance.  To my eyes,
Kate *does* look a bit like a typical Indian actress, but ironically I
think she looks a little too exotic for them!  These days, Bollywood seems
to favor starlets who look as bland and Western as possible.

BTW, it seems that Sri Devi's most recent films are considered artistically
challenging but were commercial flops -- perhaps she's in her "Dreaming"
period?  :-)

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/