Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New to this newsgroup

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 23:29:25 -0500
Subject: Re: New to this newsgroup
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Simon wrote:

> One of the first things I did when I got myself (*months* ago!) online
> was search for a KT newsgroup. I noticed rec.music.gaffa (wondering
> what exactly "gaffa" meant; my only knowledge of it was as in "Suspended
> in Gaffa") but it was too cryptic for me; I ended up DL-ing some
> newsgroup concerning a heavy metal band called "Bush".
>
>	Hello to all. What have I missed (except for the Poll;
> I'd have voted Wuthering Heights/The Kick Inside. Play it loud
> at night on top of a lonely hill in the middle of nowhere,
> preferably in a cold breeze.)?

For you and for all the newcomers to this group, this first step should be
a visit to Gaffaweb, the official web site of rec.music.gaffa and
Love-Hounds.  Gaffaweb includes tons of information we've amassed over the
years, a staggeringly comprehensive FAQ, a picture archive which would
choke a horse, cunningly edited extracts of Love-Hounds discussion over the
years organized by topic, a Kate Bush dictionary for nights when you have
nothing better to do -- is anyone ever *really* that bored? -- plus Andrew
Marvick's indispensable resource work "The Garden" which every Love-Hound
should have committed to memory, and so much more!  (The URL appears at the
bottom of this message, unless something has gone horribly wrong.)

Incidentally -- nothing to do with you Simon, but something I've been
meaning to mention -- we seem to have a spate of duplicated messages
lately, caused by people who post the same message over again, frustrated
by the failure of their original posts to appear in the newsgroup promptly.
The technical details aren't my field, but it would be nice if everyone
could bear in mind that r.m.g. has a dual life as a newsgroup AND a mailing
list, and sometimes messages posted to the newsgroup have a slightly longer
path to follow before you see them.  A good rule is to BE PATIENT.  And do
feel free to consult the FAQ in Gaffaweb for more information.

RAB
Gaffaweb publicity director and disciplinarian

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/