Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Irish, etc.

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 18:07:38 -0600
Subject: Re: Irish, etc.
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
CC: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> What's it say? What's it say?

>Robb

Just that the artists performed on her albums.
But they mention her for both of them, so in
the information, she appears *friendly* to the
Irish folk musicians, which of course, she is.
I don't have the CD here, so I can't quote it.

I saw the U.S. ABC interview of Kate after the release of
Sensual World.  The piece was about the Bulgarian
singers, and she was interviewed about her role
in using them.  She said quite earnestly that it
hurt when critics accused her of taking advantage
of these musicians.  The same was done to Paul
Simon.  The musicians have expressed their intense
gratitude for the opportunities and exposure afforded
them by pop stars who are champions of world music.
All I know is that I would not own this wonderful
album of the Bulgarian music had Kate not introduced
me to it.  Fantastic harmonies.  Wish I could reproduce
them, but not in my reach.

I'd love to contribute the interview to the tape tree,
but it was on a tape owned by someone with whom I have
no contact now.  She happened to get it by luck when
she heard they were doing the piece and her intuition
made her guess that Kate would be in it.  The interview
was very short, but touching because Kate was very
honest about her feelings and showed it.

len