Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate....STARKERS?!?!?!

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 96 18:57:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate....STARKERS?!?!?!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>In article <26ABD5166BA@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU>, NHAR3405@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU
>(Natalie) wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I had a bit of a nasty tiff with a friend of mine who _insisted_ that
>> KB posed for Playboy in the late 1970's.  I say he's mistaken..am I
>> right???
>>

>This is one of the oldest pieces of Kate-related BS in the book.
>
>Here's the facts. A Canadian Magazine similar to Playboy ran a photo
>spread of a model who happened to resemble (slightly, through fuzzy
>lenses) Kate Bush. The photo spread was called "Kate?" as in, you be the
>judge as to who this is. I forget the name of the model, but her name has
>come up in here before.

   To be more exact, Penthouse magazine ran a pictoral of a model refered
to as "Kate Simmons". It was either the June or July issue of 1979. She
was supposed to bear a fair resembelance to our Kate, and they went to
pains to suggest that this was Kate *Bush*, that she was a doctor's
daughter from Kent, etc.

>A few years later, Kate was asked about it--she said she'd heard about it,
>never seen it, and then got very offended when a reporter asked her if
>she'd ever consider doing something like that.

   Not that she is offended by nudity per say; Lindsey Kemp's troup
often performed nude, and she said that she had considered doing
the video for _Breathing_ nude as it was a fetus but concluded that
it would "send the wrong vibe." I think we can conclude that she
believes nudity can be artistically valid, and might have been more
offended by the question as yet more of the "sex symbol" thing.

>It's NOT Kate Bush. I've seen the pix (they ended up on the cover of a
>Kate Bootleg in the '80s) and she looks no more like Kate Bush than I do.

   I've never seen them...but I have looked for the issue.

   "I suppose it's sexy 'cos you can see my tits..." - Kate (in reference to
the poster for The Kick Inside)

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb