Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate in lookalike tv show

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:56:55 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: kate in lookalike tv show
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Anders Hultman wrote:

>Eehh... no :-) Apologies for the false statement. I turned off the TV after
>her appearance, and never really saw who won. Later I must have conviced
>myself that she won anyway...

Then you didn't experience to horror of hearing the jury announce
the winner.
In my opinoin, the Kate lookalike sucked big time. The costume-artists
made a good job, and the makeup was ok. She mimicked Kate rather good,
especially the wild-eyes look. But she sang horribly. She sang off tune
quite a few times, got the lyrics wrong a couple of times, and her voice
cracked ever so slightly every time she went for the high tones.

The jury said to her that imitating Kate was very bold, and demanded
lots of guts. In fact, they thought she ought to have bonus points for
trying to imitate such a difficult artist. Then, they themselves had the
guts to say that the imitating girl actually had a more mature voice
than Kate (but I guess thay said so let her down gently. They usually
are very careful in their way to say that the performance was not
adequate...).

And now to the real fright:

As I tried to say, The Kate lookalike deserved ending up last.
But the jury always starts by announcing the motivation for their
choice:
"We have choosen the winner with this motivation:
For showing great courage, and boldness in the choice of artist..."

I just screamed out loud, almost sacring my girlfriend to death...

But to my relief, the Mick Jagger lookalike won. Fairly so too.
He really sounded like the original.

Some of the lookalikes are surprisingly good. John Lennon won the
first seaon with Imagine, Whitney Houston second. The second
season was won by Elvis, with Gene Simmons (Kiss) second. All of them
as close to the originals as you can get.
If you heard them on the radio at work, or in the average car-stereo
you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Bones: "Say one thing Spock, you never cease to amaze me!"
Spock: "Nor I myself..."                                         (StarTrek V)
Mikael Jakonen                              mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se