Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Sensual World (was: Hi! Some responses)

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:39:05 -0700
Subject: Re: The Sensual World (was: Hi! Some responses)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In fact, *all* Kate's albums contain *some* tracks that have
> commercial appeal,

I disagree that anything on The Dreaming can be regarded as
traditionally commercial. To release three singles (four if you
include NotS) does not necessarily mean you believe that they
will top the charts. There's always that hope -- and a belief
that your music will reach it's intended audience, but I think
commercial means something different entirely. If she were
intending something commercial, her music would've bent toward
what was then popular, rather than asking the listener to
bend toward the music. Perhaps it would've included a version of
"I've Been To Paradise (But I've Never Been To Me)" nestled
somewhere between "All The Love" and "Houdini."  ;-)

>and the irony is that singles from "The Sensual
> World" fared worse (AFAIK) than releases from any of her previous
> albums. If anything, this rather suggests that the album is *not* as
> commercial as some people think it is.

Is that the complaint of TSW? I don't think it's too commercial.
I just think it's less experimental. Someone mentioned that it's
only fault was in following as tremendous an album as HoL. I
could agree with that. On the whole, TSW seems more sluggish
than any other Kate album, not only because eight out of eleven
songs were downtempo, but also because none of the ballads cast
her in as outlandish a role as, say, Cathy, or a woman adrift on
the water awaiting rescue.

Songs such as "The Fog," "Reaching Out," "Between a Man and a
Woman," "Never Be Mine" and "Walk Straight Down The Middle" did
little thematically or musically to declare Kate's genius.
They are all beautiful, quiet songs. They all make valid,
interesting statements (such as "The Fog's" comparison of love
to the vast ocean in the eyes of a frightened child). But none
of them is such an ovewhelming, *different* take on a subject
that I wanted to run out and play it for everyone as I did HoL.
That said, I think "Deeper Understanding," the title song, "This
Woman's Work" and "Rocket's Tale" are amazing.

> P.S. Another reason for buying "The Sensual World" is the picture of Kate on the
> CD (the disc itself). Beauty personified.

Which picture and which CD is this? I have a Japanese import
which just lists the songs and has no pic of Kate.   :-(

Robb