Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Emily Bezar

From: meredith <meth@smoe.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:47:08 -0400
Subject: Emily Bezar
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi!

I'm here to inform each and every one of you who are pining for a new Kate
album to check out the latest release from an independent artist from
Berkeley, CA named Emily Bezar.  It's called _Moon In Grenadine_, and it's
as lush, intelligent, interesting, and gorgeous as anything you'd expect
from the likes of Kate.

Emily has operatic training, which really shines through in her singing.
She plays and composes on the piano, and on this album is accompanied by
guitar, bass, drums, tenor sax, trumpet, and various electronic keyboard
sounds.  Her voice is stunning, and at times *very* like Kate's.  Her lyrics
are rather oblique at times, the kind that keep you listening over and over
again to catch the nuances that will help you figure out just what story
she's telling.  When I listen to her music, I picture breezy Victorian
mansions with women in proper period attire moving silently about the rooms.
(Maybe that has something do to with what Emily was wearing the one and only
time I had the chance to see her peform, over a year ago now... but I think
not. :)

I know it takes a lot for people to buy an album sight unheard, but
unfortunately you can't really find this in stores, so you'll just have to
take my word for it. :)  You can obtain a copy of your very own by sending
$12 (postage included, though you may want to stick in some extra if you're
from outside the US) to:

DemiVox Records
2625 Alcatraz Ave. #182
Berkeley, CA  94705

This is Emily herself, so if you include a nice note and ask her to sign the
disc for you, she will, and you'll probably get a nice note in return. :)
I'm not affiliated with her or with DemiVox in any way -- I'm just someone
who appreciates good music when she hears it, and hopes that at least some
Katefans will agree that Emily deserves to be heard too.

(She also has another album that's a bit different but just as good, called
_Grandmother's Tea Leaves_, if _Moon In Grenadine_ impresses you enough to
want more. :)

Happy discovering!

| Meredith Tarr                                              meth@smoe.org |
| Boonton, NJ USA                       http://remus.rutgers.edu/~woj/meth |
|  "There's a god out there, and god I wish it was mine" - Susan McKeown   |