Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Those EMI dorks!

From: "G. Jeffrey Gower" <jgower@mtholyoke.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:22:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Those EMI dorks!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Larry J. Hernandez wrote:
> ---This "Manhattan" line was (is? I never went for it) one of the
>    worst marketing schemes ever put over the public. Not only are
>    most of the credits missing, to my ears, hearing a friend's
>    Manhattan CD, the music quality itself is poorer than original
>    EMI (import) or original American releases.

Yes, you are correct.  The sound quality is not even up to par with my
old LPs.  I have been meaning to "upgrade" to CDs for some time, and when
I read the posting recently that mentioned the rumour of these CDs being
deleted in US soon, I went and grabbed them up, not realizing that they
were on the dreaded EMI-Manhattan label.  Oh well, at least I have them.

> ---Ugh. Sorry to hear that you could actually get "used" to this.
>     Especially considering that it's Kate! :)

Well, what I meant was that almost all of the CDs that I buy are reissues
of my old LPs (older recordings), and although sometimes the record
labels do a tremendous job in these by adding tracks, adding printed
material, etc., MANY times there is just the two-sided card as an insert,
with all the recording info and such gone.  When I say I am "used to it",
I mean I am more numb to the fury that I used to feel!  Haha.  I buy alot
of classical music also, and EMI are notorious for their crappy job of
reissues - shameless!  And they are VERY quick to delete items from their
catalog, so you better get 'em while they're hot!  That is why I did not
doubt the rumour of deletion of Kate's albums from EMI.  But actually,
maybe some other label will pick them up and do them service, eh?

> ---Man, Jeff, you've got some patience.  It is a VERY big deal
>    to me. Consumers must demand their money's worth. I think many
>    people complaining is the best way to change things. I believe
>    that MCA was forced to upgrade their cheap rereleases because of
>    public outcry.

Well, I am glad that outcry does work occasionally, but I don't think it
works very often, especially for out-of-the-way specialty niche artists
and for things like classical and jazz, which sell relatively low volumes.

>    May I suggest that your next CD be the Japanese release of
>    _Lionheart_?  You simply will not (cannot) be dissatisfied.  :-)

Thanks for the recommendation, for that is one Kate LP I haven't upgraded
to CD yet.

Jeff