Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Those EMI dorks!

From: "Larry J. Hernandez" <alundra@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:59:16 -0700
Subject: Re: Those EMI dorks!
To: jgower@mtholyoke.edu
CC: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

"G. Jeffrey Gower" <jgower@mtholyoke.edu> wrote:

Hi folks.  I just joined the list recently, and decided to go ahead and
update my worn Kate LPs with CD versions.  So far I have NFE, TD, and
HOL
from the EMI-Manhattan label,

---This "Manhattan" line was (is? I never went for it) one of the
   worst marketing schemes ever put over the public. Not only are
   most of the credits missing, to my ears, hearing a friend's
   Manhattan CD, the music quality itself is poorer than original
   EMI (import) or original American releases.

and as to be expected of EMI (the half-wits
they are), they have excluded all lyrics and LP insleeve stuff like
photos, credits, etc..

---I guess blame can be placed on EMI in England, but wasn't their
   American counterpart responsible for the Manhattan line? Anyone?

I am somewhat used to this but it never fails to
really anger me that they would go ahead and reissue recordings but
leave
out such important info.

---Ugh. Sorry to hear that you could actually get "used" to this.
    Especially considering that it's Kate! :)

Just to save a few $ I guess - what dweebs!  Oh
well, I am glad that Columbia (who put out TSW CD) didn't do the same.

---That's only becaue the Columbia release is an original American
   release. One day, it too may suffer the same fate as the other
   Katealbums, if we are lucky to see a rerelease.

I guess it is no big deal when you know all the lyrics and stuff by
heart
like most of us do, but for newcomers it is really a shame to miss out
on
the extras.  Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum.....

Jeff

---Man, Jeff, you've got some patience.  It is a VERY big deal
   to me. Consumers must demand their money's worth. I think many
   people complaining is the best way to change things. I believe
   that MCA was forced to upgrade their cheap rereleases because of
   public outcry.

   May I suggest that your next CD be the Japanese release of
   _Lionheart_?  You simply will not (cannot) be dissatisfied.  :-)

Larry (alundra@flash.net)  "Spend a lot my time, looking at blue,
                            No wonder that I blew it." -KT