Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Sensual World, and Donovan

From: "G. Jeffrey Gower" <jgower@mtholyoke.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 13:39:02 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: The Sensual World, and Donovan
To: Miasma226@aol.com
cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996 Miasma226@aol.com wrote:
> << I know that Kate did a version of Donovan's "Lord of the
> Reedy River". >>
> NO WAY!!  Is that a Donovan song??  I had no idea!  See, I couldn't name one
> song by Donovan, but I have every song by him, covered by someone else.  It
> seems like, everytime I put on a new disc, my mom will walk through the room
> and say, "Oh, who's doing the Donovan song?"

Yes indeed it is!  Ain't it a great tune?

> I have to start listening to him, because I love all the covers I have heard!

Well, I LOVE Donovan's music, but I must warn you that there are great
extremes from Dylan-like folk to psychedelic flower-power music (I like
this the best) to hard rock to jazz - you name it.  Donovan is laughed
about alot because of his lyrics and such, but I find them very
interesting - I think he had to have been stoned most of the time he
wrote them.  Anyway, yes he is definitely worth checking out - perhaps
his "greatest hits" package is a good start.  There is a 2-CD box set
entitled "Troubadour" that covers most of his good stuff also.

Best regards,
Jeff