Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Video History

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 17:36:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Video History
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>

>Not to impugn the word of Dave Clark -- I have nothing against the man,
>honest! -- but musical shorts were a regular part of a night out at the
>cinema back in the 1930s, alongside cartoons and newsreels.  These short
>films were usually what we might consider performance clips, except that
>they were not films of actual performances, but bands "acting" like they
>were performing, miming over a prerecorded track just like the videos of
>today.

True.  If it weren't for these, there are some very good early black
jazz groups that would have been swallowed up without a trace in
history.  Part of the preservation effort for old film going on is
recovering some of these.  So Dave, you weren't the first.  Now,
narrowing it down to rock videos, maybe he has a case.  I dunno.

I sat in front of the TV the day MTV first broadcast with my
then picking buddy, Ricky V.  We looked at the acts then looked
at each other and decided to get daytime jobs.  It was obvious
what was coming and that musical skill had just taken a back seat
to looks and outrage, but since the rock genre was burned out some
years earlier, it wasn't really a big surprise.  MTV did get
the music industry out of the economic dregs of the time. MTV has
produced
some good changes, but by and large, it hurt music.  Compare a
band today (most - not all) and compare one to 1973-78 when
you really had to play well, and skill wise, there isn't much
to compare.  Of course, compare the Beatles to Cole Porter
and one gets the same results.  It comes and goes...

One item we debate these days in my business is what to do with
some of the neat technical toys we have.  VRML 2.0 is not only
cheap animation, but a good way to build an interface into albums.
One approach is to retrofit it to existing CD-ROM legacy.  When
the CD came along, the 12 inch vinyl disappeared and that got rid
of the album cover as art form.  The size of the CD just doesn't
lend itself to what could be done before. Now we will be delivering
payforplay and downloadAlbumBefore neighbor direct distribution and
we can really raise the ante on the presentation.  We are also
seriously raising the ante on skill level required.  That was
exactly what Kate Bush did to her contemporaries.  When one
looked at what she could do in terms of dance, mime, composition,
singing, etc, it was really intimidating at the time.  She wasn't
the first, of course, but she was the best.

So, we can build VR worlds for the legacy out there (e.g, you can
run up that Hill with Vkate), and we can tightly integrate with
new works, which will be quite a bit more fun.

Some folks like Todd Rundgren have experimented with it.
Tossing rocks at Rush Limbaugh for points is fun.

For the newer bands for whom computers are second nature, a new
art form is emerging.  So, we will see rock live again as part of
virtual theatre and interactive fr-iction.  This is an area where
kate could do stellar work because a good camera eye, sense of
proportion, and a wild imagination go a long way for cheap in this
medium.  And in this world, one is forever young.  Or, given
her many characters, this is a place to make them all live
and play together. Je suis frontiere...

The artists of the next century are not discovered yet.

len