Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various responses

From: spike45@sos.sos.net (wayne fisher)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:57:21 -0700
Subject: Various responses
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi,

"Jodie O'Keefe" <jodie@helix.com.au> wrote:
>Heaven forbid me playing anything but Tori or Kate on my cd player but
>sometimes I would like to discover some new music from other female
>artists that sound similar to them both.

Happy Rhodes, Jane Siberry, Heather Nova, and from what I've been told
Laurie Freelove (in the mail and on it's way as I type...I hope). There are
others, Jodie, I just can't think of them at the moment. Maybe before I'm
finished here my brain will start functioning. If you want to know which
albums by these artist are best (IMHO) I'd be happy to respond...let me know.

Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)wrote:
>   Careful with that reply, Eugene.
>--- end of quoted material ---
>hmmmmm....subtle Floyd reference here....the greatest band on this earth...
>....even greater than Kate.

One of their greatest songs, especially live in the early years, before
"Dark Side of the Moon", which is when I (somewhat) lost interest. I was
partial to their more spacey material (Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma) and
Syd Barrett (Piper at the Gates).

"Sawyer, Keith" <Keith.Sawyer@FMR.Com> wrote:
>One surprise was the lack of commentary on 'All the Love' - my favorite song
>on The Dreaming.  I had always assumed there were some Emily Dickenson
>references in the song, but since I'm not well-schooled in poetry I was
>hoping for some educated commentary about the possible influence.  Has this
>never been a thread?

It may have been, but why not again? I just want to say how much I too love
this song, but........ The answering machines at the end of the song get in
the way. I love the song anyway, it just seems like overkill. The
"dissonant" piano parts are very haunting and lovely. As far as educated
commentary...I'll leave that to the educated. ;-)

Heather Almeter <HALMETER@spea.spea.indiana.edu> wrote:
>Someone said they didn't like "Heads We're Dancing" that much,
>and it interested me because I tend to play that song over and
>over again!  It creates such a piece of film in my head (I'm kind of
>glad Kate didn't make a video for it because I like the one I
>imagine!), I envision Kate as the narrator of the song, looking like
>she did in the "Hounds of Love" video, and there's this man, who
>of course turns out to be Hitler, but we never see his face, until
>she sees the newspaper... anyway.

I love hearing about the images other people get from Kate's songs. They can
be so different or so close to my own. More images please. Thanks Heather, I
like the song too, but it hasn't been one of my more image intensive songs.
I'll listen to it again and read the lyrics. Sometimes videos CAN ruin a song.

Marco Castellani <mkast@coma.mporzio.astro.it> wrote:
>I'm new on thi list, so I cannot stop me to ask a rather simple question:
>I have "Lionhearth" (which for me is wonderful), "Hounds of Love" and
>"The sensual word"... yes, it is not much, I admit...
>The question is: next worth to buy?

My vote would go to "The Dreaming", but you may want to ease into it by way
of "Never for Ever" first. That would be in order of release after "Lionheart."
HoL is my favorite, but the Dreaming is just as good. I have a very personal
emotional attachment to HoL. Hope that helps, Marco. You can hardly go wrong
with any of Kate's albums though. And welcome, Marco. The question is not so
simple after all.

That's all for now.
Bye
Wayne