Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

LIONHEART

From: billings@uhavax.hartford.edu
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 22:07:20 EDT
Subject: LIONHEART
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

First of all, thanks again to everyone for answering my questions in a kind
and informative manner, helping me learn a lot more about Kate in the process!
I would like to ask some questions about LIONHEART.  I can see that it is
one of Kate's least popular albums, because the wonderful person who posted
his or her list of Kate albums in order of preference put it second to last (by
the way, I loved your list and think everyone should do one, even though you
may have in the past);
plus, I have never read a review for it that was anywhere near good (in
the ROLLING STONE RECORD GUIDE, SPIN ALTERNATIVE GUIDE, and a few others.)
It was almost the last Kate album I bought this summer when I was purchasing
the seven major LPs.  Based on the reviews I had read, I was prepared for
a boring, lyrically weak hodgepodge.  However, I must say that I don't mind
it at all.  While I would by no means place it near the top of my Kate list,
I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be.  "Hammer Horror" is
one of my favorite Kate tunes, and I also like listening to "Symphony In
Blue", "Wow", and "Don't Put Your Foot On The Heartbrake."  In fact, the only
one I'm not overly fond of is "In The Warm Room."  Furthermore, the cover
is awesome, although that obviously has nothing to do with the music.  I would
like to hear peoples' views on this album.  Thanks for the help with "Jig Of
Life" and Pat B.'s version of "Wuthering Heights."

shane