Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Brian and Kate !

From: "SEAN TWOMEY (ARCHAEOLOGY) PG" <twomeys@acadamh.ucd.ie>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 17:38:33 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Brian and Kate !
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi all,

Another nice Irish media mention of Kate ......
In the 16th October issue of Irish rock paper Hot Press , Brian
Kennedy , the Belfast singer-songwriter , is interviewed by Joe
Jackson in relation to the release of his new album . Brian was one
of the featured musicians on Common Ground .

The following is a quote from this interview:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
" ... when someone says 'What is that song about ?'  I say 'What do
you think it is about ?' and whatever they say is ,to me, what the
song is about .At least , at that point , because I've sent it out
into the world and really do believe that the whole process is only
complete when other people complete that circle. "
When did Brian first realise this was a defining feature of music ?
  " That's what songs always did for me ," he reflects, "going back
to 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes ' by Kate Bush , that I first
heard when I'd sneak into my friends' big brothers' bedroom - which
of course , fuelled the whole experience, in that it involved all
that guilt-ridden Catholic desire stuff, in that we shouldn't have
been in his brothers' bedroom at all , listening to his great record
player with these fabulous speakers . and I'll never forget when he
put the stylus down on the vinyl ...what I heard , and how I
responded, was extraordinary.
Then later I was very fortunate to meet her and have dinner at her
house.Because what happened was that I made this promise to
myself,back in the beginning ,that if I ever made an album I'd send
it to her. And I did, with a letter saying ,'you were one of the
first people I ever got moved by , on record ,and I always said I'd
send you my first album,so here it is ,bye.'And she wrote back!And
when I met her I told her in detail what that song had done for me
and she was really delighted. And delightful."

Quite a story isn't it ?!
The interview revealed Brian to be a very sweet and thoughtful person
with very open views on male sexuality ...... I'm guessing that he
must have adored  the song Eat The Music !Brian is doing very well in
Ireland at the moment with two recent hit singles ,"A Better Man",
and "Life,Love And Happiness" .

Take care,

Sean:-)