Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: questions and comments

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 02:02:32 -0700
Subject: Re: questions and comments
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

billings@uhavax.hartford.edu wrote:

> I sent a post a few days ago, but I didn't see it on the list.  So, I am
> writing again.  First of all, someone asked if Kate steals from Tori.
> Well, I love both women, and I have been into Tori a lot longer than Kate.
> However, if one woman has stolen from the other (and I think the idea is
> ludicrous to begin with), it would have to be Tori from Kate.  Kate was
> making music long before Tori, and her albums and singles reached the
> public long before the first of Tori's.

Whoa, Nellie, slow down! The original post was a joke. Everyone
on this group knows that Kate's been around since the late 70's
and Tori since the early 90's (dismissing, of course, Y Kant
Tori Read). This was a play on the oft-posted thread that Tori
steals from Kate.

> 1. what Kate Books do you people own, and which would you recommend?  Does
>    anyone have KATE BUSH COMPLETE or KATE BUSH: A VISUAL DOCUMENTARY?

The first contains all Kate's music up through The Whole Story.
The second is a pictorial and history.

> 2. what videos are on THE WHOLE STORY video that are not on THE SINGLE FILE

The Hounds of Love videos had yet to be made when The Single
File had come out. Therefore you're lacking Cloudbusting,
Running Up That Hill, The Big Sky, Hounds of Love, The extended
Ninth Wave film in Letter-Box (just kidding -- really!) and the
Experiment IV video (exclusive to The Whole Story album).

> 3. are there cool liner notes in THE WHOLE STORY album

Depends. There have been several printings of TWS in the US. I
have a copy which offers a look at all the single and
album covers in color. Another offers them only in B & W. And a
third is a single page printed only on one side -- no
information within at all. The only liner notes on any of these
reveals chart positions of the songs and albums on TWS.

> I have all of Kate's albums of original material, but have yet to get THE
> WHOLE STORY.

In addition to Expreiment IV, you are missing the new vocal of
Wuthering Heights. And the b-sides (which are unfortunately
available only in the box set.) BTW -- I've seen box sets here
in L.A. for about $130. I don't know the country of origin, but
it's probably Canada.

  I have THE SINGLE FILE video, but no other videos.  I am in
> love with this woman and I wish to God that I had discovered her years
> ago.  Now nineteen, I feel that I am just too far behind the times!

Alas...washed up at nineteen...    ;-)

  The
> reason I got into the goddess is that I saw a letter in REQUEST from a
> woman who claimed that Tori Amos has ripped of Kate Bush and should take
> be taken to court for the crime!  I was intrigued and decided to explore
> Kate.  If the letter was written by one of you, please let me know, so that
> I can thank you for turning me onto Kate.

It's really Joni Mitchell who's been ripping off Tori for years.
Along with Rickie Lee Jones, The Del Rubio Triplets, Elvis
Costello and Donny & Marie. That oughta keep you busy.  :-)

I still love Tori, too, and I
> don't know if we are "allowed" to mention her on this list.  Please respond
> someone.

Mention, mention. But you must never bring up any other cast
member of Beverly Hills 90210 within the same post.

Robb (who saw Ian Ziering at Chin Chin's last week...so?)