Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 12:04 +1200
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

     Dale Campbell wrote:

     >The Beatles put out albums without touring.  Steely Dan put out
     albums without touring.  It's not UNHEARD-OF.  And if that's how they
     feel, fine.  If Kate doesn't want to tour, fine!  I'm just GLAD to get
     the albums!

     ...........to which Ron replied:

     >>Actually, the Beatles DID tour until late 1966.  They decided to
     stop touring because they couldn't hear themselves sing on
     stage..there was so much screaming. If the Beatles had had a better
     behaving audience, they would've toured more, IMHO.

     ..........to which Rhys now adds:
     Part of the reason the Beatles stopped touring was indeed the noise. I
     recall an interview where John Lennon said he couldn't tell if his
     guitar was in tune. However there were other reasons, one being safety
     ("they had just killed their president" etc) and the other, which is
     relevant to Kate, is one of having evolved so much in their music do
     be unable to give it justice on stage (err..was it 'You won't see me'
     that Harrison and Co. were trying to perform on 'The Complete
     Beatles'?). What justice could be done to Cloudbusting or Big Stripey
     Lie on stage?