Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Let's talk about something else

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:30:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Let's talk about something else
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Kent Finley wrote:

>OK, how about who would you most like to hear Kate record a duet with?
>
>Peter Gabriel doesn't count--been done.
>Prince doesn't count--almost been done.
>Tori Amos doesn't count--too obvious.

Donald Fagen or Bryan Ferry.  In each case, Kate would *really* be into the
collaboration, and each of them would appreciate the beauty of her work as
well.  (I'm sure Ferry is already familiar with Kate's work, but I don't
know if Fagen has ever heard her.)  The thought of Fagen and Bush
collaborating on *writing* a song, as well as singing it, is possibly too
much pleasure for my nerve endings to tolerate.

>My choice would be Leonard Cohen, if only for the extreme variation in ranges
>that might be evidenced in such a collaboration.  If they wrote it together,
>Kate could maybe glean a bit more about popular songwriting (think "Bird on a
>Wire", "First We Take Manhattan", "Ain't No Cure For Love"), and Leonard
>Cohen
>could maybe learn a bit about singing (think "Suzanne")!

If you ever need to listen to Leonard Cohen songs -- a debatable need, IMHO
-- it's probably best to listen to them sung by Jennifer Warnes.

RAB