Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Break or not a break?

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:50:53 -0400
Subject: Break or not a break?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

|>oug asks:

 > Are you claiming that this break (and not just the notes being sung)
 > occurs in all of Kate's live performances of the song.  My wife does not
 > claim that Kate has missed any notes.

Well, your wife sounds like an admirable person!  IED begins to wonder
whether he is talking about the same sound that the rest of you are
discussing.  IED assumed that by "break" or "crack" here you intended to
describe the split of the first syllable of "Cathy" (in "It's me, Cathy!"),
at the climax of the song's vocal, into two syllables ("Ca-a-"), and that you
heard the first of these notes (a semiquaver higher than the second) as an
unintentional slip in her execution of the sequence, which does not existin
the original recording from TKI.

Now, however, it begins to sound as though you are referring to some sort of
actual frog-in-throat cracking sound.  If so, IED needs to go back to the
recording and listen again (when he gets back to his home town, as he's now
travelling).  He doesn't remember any such sound off hand.  As for the
semiquaver, it may not be in every live performance, but it is indeed in
several of those which IED has heard, and (again when he gets the
opportunity) he would be happy to identify them more specifically if anyone's
interested.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S        R         I
   P.S.:  IED is heartened by Karen's excellent support, and is moved thereby
   continue his ongoing campaign indefinitely!