Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Drugs - Drugs - DRUGS!

From: nth-wave@easynet.co.uk (Dave Watkins)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 19:28:51 -0300
Subject: Drugs - Drugs - DRUGS!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>Now, the reference to "like poppies heavy with seed" in "And Dream of Sheep"
>is obviously another matter:  here it would be just as far-fetched to suggest
>that there is no intentional reference to the soporific effects of opiates.
> Indeed, we don't really even require Kate's explicit agreement in order to
>draw the conclusion that this line is an implicit reference to drugs.  But it
>would be absurd, again, to go further and theorize that the use of this
>simile was a coded admission that the heroine of "The Ninth Wave" -- or by
>extension, Kate -- was an opium-eater or a heroin addict.
>In short, let's keep up the fine discussion, but use our common sense.

- -- Andrew Marvick (IED)

Of course, that's not what I'm saying.  But it is interesting to spot these
drug related images.  Drugs could be an example of blurring the two worlds
-life and afterlife -which is relevant to the ninth wave.  Kate looks like
she *could* be in a narcotic state on the cover.  Wierd.

Dave