Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Plenty of mistakes -- but they're not Kate's!

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 16:27:51 -0400
Subject: Plenty of mistakes -- but they're not Kate's!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Ric writes:

 > Her voice cracks in the remade version of Wuthering Heights found on
 > "The Whole Story". The sour note occurs at the worst time as well, when
 > she sings "Ca-thy..." and there is a brief piano break just before the
corus
 > kicks in for the last remaining part of the song. I can't be the only one
who
 > thinks this a terrible goof that should not have been left uncorrected in
an
 > otherwise beautiful song.  I literally can't listen to the blemish without

 > feeling utterly disappointed.
 > Anyway, that's just my perspective. You may disagree.
 > Ric.

And ron responds:

 > Actually I noticed that too.  But Kate was almost 10 years older and I'm
sure
 > her smoking habit didn't help one bit.   Wuthering Heights has some pretty
high
 > notes to hit.   But in a way it's part of the charm of the remake.  It
took guts
 > to even attempt a remake of this song.

 > peace

 > ron

Both ric and Ron are laboring under a misapprehension.  Kate has not made
an "error" here at all.  The fact is that the only time she HASN'T sung that
climactic word as she does in the "New Vocal" version of "WH" is in the
original recording from "TKI".  In every subsequent performance of the song
(and at least a half-dozen have come down to us to date) she breaks the
"Cathy" into three distinct notes, beginning a half-tone above the higher
note heard in the original studio performance.  That is the way she sings it
-- with her usual perfect intonation -- in "New Vocal".  It may be called an
enhancement, or an alternative interpretation, or a variation, or any number
of other things.  It cannot, however, accurately be called a "mistake", since
it is the result of a quite deliberate artistic decision on Kate's part, and
those, as we all know, are invariably infallible.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
   S        R         I