Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate does commercials!!

From: mizzell@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:31:10 GMT
Subject: Kate does commercials!!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Boy, was I surprised!  Did anybody else know this?

>From an article in the July 16, 1996 "Shoot" magazine.

...concerning buying tracks from artist to use in commercials

""...many agencies shy away from contacting original artist.  Andrew
Chinich, executive producer and head of the broadcast department at
TBWA Chiat/Day in New York, says that it's because "people think it's
more money, but it's not.  I don't pay an artist more than I pay a
music house."

  He also notes that it can be cost-effective compared to copping the
rights to a well known hit.

  "Buying a track has become so prohibitive, " Chinich says.  "One
piece of music, with sync rights, can be half a million dollars."

Part of the problem is that all but the most powerful artist are under
such strict contracts that the record companies frequently set the
terms and often take the lion's share of any commercial money.  In
fact, Chinich went directly to Kate Bush to purchase one of her
earlier hits.

"I told her, "I could give $250,000 to Sony or I can throw it at you."
Unlike many less-established bands, Bush had enough clout as an artist
to take the deal.

Kate scored last year's entire U.S. campaign for Fruitopia, creating
about a dozen original tunes.  For the British version, he secured
ethereal synth-popsters, Cocteau Twins, a popular band on that side of
the pond."

I've seen these spots.  They are beautifully done and I thought the
sound had a familiar feel to it.  Now I know!

As a commercial composer myself, there a lot of issues to discuss here
if anybody wants to jump in!  I'm glad that Sony didn't get the money!