Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Ninth Wave discussion

From: Moon <MoonCrow@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:42:02 -0400
Subject: Re: The Ninth Wave discussion
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

was really impresssed to hear from Robert Matthews  that:
"  "Waking the witch" is an actual term that was used during the witch
terrors in Europe. It referred to keeping a suspected witch awake for
long, long periods of time (like a week or two). "

In concurrence with some of what has been said about what's going on in the
song - I have to say that the first time I heard it it scared the **** out of
me!

Then I instantly remembered something I had recently (then, about 10
years ago )seen on TV about a young boy who finds a ghost in his barn - a
ghost of a litle girl who died as a result of her witch trial.  She was not a
witch, but the priest who conducted her trial had the hots for her, and
wanted her to submit to him and be his lover.  He would then clear her
name.  She refused, so he had her tried and killed as a witch.

The girl sought solace from the boy - as if she were still alive in some
parallel universe, and only the boy could help her somehow.

I always thought that in the song "Waking the Witch" it was the same deal -
the way the priest says his lines with that mocking, husky voice - it
sounds  as if he is still trying to come on to her.  And she refuses....

"Damn you woman!"  ....  he's completely exasperated by his desire and her
refusal.  Then she is found "Guilty!  Guilty!  Guilty!"  and he says, "I am
responsible for your actions." He is responsible for the "witchcraft" she is
accused of, because he contrived it!  It almost sounds like he says it to her
aside, so that only she can hear it, so that the last thing she will know  is
that *he* has brought her to this point, and now she is at his "mercy."  But
she doesn't get it!

Just my thoughts.  This in no way is intended to represent the thoughts,
intentions, etc. of Kate Bush......  :)

Moon :)
>From the darkness I hear the beating of mighty wings...
                                   -Morpheus