Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Waking the Witch

From: "Sawyer, Keith" <Keith.Sawyer@FMR.Com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 17:50 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Waking the Witch
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

amahdavi@husc.harvard.edu (Andisheh Mahdavi) writes:

>WAKING THE WITCH
> - ----------------
This song does the best job of resisting any imposition of a "plot"
>onto the Ninth Wave. Even if the witch in the song is being drowned
>(see below), we are very far away from the "real world" where the
>protagonist is drowning. <snip>

I always envisioned this as either:

1) the woman is hallucinating that she is being dunked, much like a supposed
witch at a Salem trial -  "Confess to me girl!"

 -or my preferred explanation-

2) The woman is revisiting a <past life> where she died of drowning - in
this case as an accused witch at a trial.  I sort of linked this song as
being the first of a trio, with "Watching" representing her <current
life/age> and "Jig of Life" representing her <future> pleading with her
present.

keith