Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello Earth

From: "Sawyer, Keith" <Keith.Sawyer@FMR.Com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Hello Earth
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

spike45@sos.sos.net (bill & wayne) said:

>When I first heard "Hello Earth" I picked up on the "hand held up high",
but
>not knowing the lyrics real well gave me a slightly different image. The
>image I have is of KT standing on the moon, slight breeze pushing her hair
>back (I know, there is no wind on the moon), she holds her hand up to block
>the earth and moves her hand to the right saying peek-a-boo, then peeks
>around to the left of her hand and again "peek-a-boo". Playing this "childs
>game" with the earth is so lovely and profound that it has never left me.

Thanks for the memory - I find this one of her most visually appealing songs
as well, along with the burning fields in "Never Be Mine".  Any others out
there affected by strong imagry in one of Kate's works?

I've been playing with the idea of making my own personal soundtrack for The
Watchmen, a 12-issue comic book/graphic novel by brits Alan Moore & Dave
Gibbons in the mid-80's.  This memory of 'Hello Earth' reminded me so much
of issue 9 - when Laurie looks up from Mars to try and see the Earth, as she
convinces her lover to save us from ourselves.  Once again, powerful imagry
that will stay inside my head forever.  I guess I have my song for that
issue, now.

keith