Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ken Saloranta

From: "Sawyer, Keith" <KEITH.SAWYER@FMR.Com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:17:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Ken Saloranta
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> On a second point, my wife can't stand Kate (mind you, I can't stand
> Madonna or Culture Club so we're even).  She's on maternity leave now so
> I get to load up the CD player in the car with mostly Kate and play it
> all the time, but once she's in the car, they don't get played.
>
> Is every one in the same boat?

Pretty much echoes my experience.  When travelling in the car or just at
home with friends, putting Kate on definitely gets a reaction - and
usually not a positive one.  And whenever I mention to a new
acquaintance that Kate Bush is my favourite artist, I usually get a
stammer or the rolling eyes effect as a reply.

It seems that the reputation of rabid and often argumentative Kate fans
proceeds me - people automatically seem braced for a preachy sermon and
get very non-confrontational to try and avoid the subject.  It's much
like mentioning that you enjoy the writing of Ayn Rand - it's
immediately assumed you are just *looking* for a vicious slap fight.

Within the past year I've started to respond back to the "favourite
group" query with American Music Club, because 1) they're my 2nd
favorite, and 2) very few people seem to have any preconceptions about
them.  It does seem to help...

Keith

P.S.  By the way, ever noticed the question is always posed as "What's
your favorite group", not "favorite musical artist?"