Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Boogie Woogie time!

From: gearnoise@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 01:47:42 EDT
Subject: Boogie Woogie time!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Last Thursday I started my long drive from work at Tuscaloosa, AL down to
Key West, FL with a route plotted to take me by Sarasota.  When I got to
exit 37 of road I75 I glanced at my trip odometer and it read mile 666
(God's honest truth!). OK, so I knew I HAD TO get off the road there with
that omen, so I pulled in to the Boogie Woogie record store parking lot,
and went in for a quick (or so I thought) browse.
Waiting just for me in the Kate Bush bin was a CD in a cardstock case with
a cover photo of a young Kate (looks about 15) with a mike singing in
front of her drummer (with "The K.T. Bush (Band)" on the snare), and the
title in script was "Kate Bush   Shrubberies".  Yeah, I know, it was
another bootleg with a stiff "import" price, but how could I pass it up?
I am human...   But I digress. It was put out by Red Robin Records, no
number on the case, number KBCD 940111 on the CD itself. Contains 26
of her demos, 1-22 being 3-track demos, Kate and her piano.  Tracks 23-26
are full band demos. The list:
1. TKI  2. Hammer Horror  3. Rose Growing Old  4. Keep Me Waiting
5. Kashka From Baghdad  6. Coming Up  7. Oh, To Be In Love  8. Playing
Canasta  9. Snow  10. Ferry Me Over  11. Lionheart  12. Violin
13. Craft Of Love  14. Queen Eddie  15. In My Garden  16. Frightened Eyes
17. Disbelieving Angel  18. Never The Less  19. Good Night Baby
20. So Soft  21. I Don't See Why I Shouldn't  22. Davey  23. Babooshka
24. Moving  25. Don't Put Your Foot On Your Heartbreak  26. Kite.
No new discoveries here, except of course to me personally.  Total time
about 70 minutes (am listening to it while writing),

Other Boogie Woogie bits (even though I still had almost 400 miles to go,
I couldn't help but spend an hour there, especially when I discovered
that I could listen to any CD in the store, new or used):

1. They had about a dozen different Donovan CD's, but none contained
Lord of the Reedy River, nor do any of my old LP's. Did he ever record
the song himself?  Only singer of it I could find beside Kate was Mary
Hopkin.

2. Tried out Happy Rhodes' Building The Colossus album.  I just can't
seem to get into her singing....  But I did seem to hear more of her
"own" voice on that than on Rhode Songs.

3. They had This Womans Work Vols 2 and 3 as singles, but since I had all
of those songs, I passed on payin out a small fortune (and clearly on the
back of the case it said "For promotional use only. Not for sale". Right
next to the pricetag).

4. Bryan Dongray covered the song details of the Kate Bush Collaborations
album I bought there last month. Must be the same.  Other details: The
cover photo is of Kate with hair full of ivy.  The label is listed as
Twilight Music, album # TMCD 005.  The CD itself also lists the name
GEMA.
Neal Mulvenna                                          __/__/T_ -- -
internet: gearnoise@vnet.ibm.com                      / /\ </\ \ --