Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

discographic phenomena

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 08:56:28 +0200
Subject: discographic phenomena
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi,

in England I bought a 'The Sensual World'-12"-single, with the double groove
on side A. This was originally for a friend, but when I got home I discovered
that it was different from then one I already had:
One has "Penthouse" stamped into the runout groove area on side B, in printed
letters, not in Kate's handwriting as usual.
The other one doesn't have that inscription, but the play order on side B is
1. Walk straight down the Middle, 2. The Sensual World (instr.), though it's
labeled as 1. TSW (instr.), 2. WSDTM  like the first record. The A-sides are
exactly the same, even the matrix numbers.
Is one of them a rare mispressing or are they just first and second edition?
Which one should I keep?

Another new item: an English Never For Ever LP. It has runout inscriptions too:
"Mi" and "Do" (from the Italian scale Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti? or from the
German abbreviations for Wednesday and Thursday?), and a drawing of a pair
of glasses (an allusion to Herbie Flowers? 8-).

Crossing the Channel back to the continent, I stayed most of the trip in the
ferry's duty-free-shop, because it was cold and windy outside.
Browsing through their small CD & tape shelf, I found a double MC of
"not the nine o'clock news" (with "England My Leotard"). So I bought this
one for the rest of my UK cash, instead of some alcoholic beverage.
(They also had some cheap looking multi-band radios on display, by a company
named "BUSH"!)
Big surprise at home: the first tape played backwards! Probably some
misproduction, but as a reader of love-hounds I knew what to do: with
some gently applied brute force I opened the glued tape shell and swapped
the two reels. Closed the shell again and rewound, and I had a slightly
damaged but playable tape.

bye,
Rolf