Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Worlds

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 14:52:59 -0500
Subject: Kate Worlds
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Gregg P. writes:

> Funny, I don't recall seeing any screaming rants or tirades regarding
> the Kate VRML worlds (stunning things, those).  Now, *those* need
> some serious horsepower and a primo web browser (plus plug-ins, and
> plenty of bandwidth) to even look at, let alone actually enjoy.

It is true.  They are big beasties. http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/

Rants aside (let it die...), the Kate Worlds require a minimum:

o  486/66 (better a Pentium).  They were built on a Pentium 60,
which is already a sub-par machine.  They run decently on a 75.

o  8mb RAM to load.  That said, the requirements for VRML Live3D
spin nodes are such that 16mb is better, and 24 is better than
that.  I built them in 8mb over a six month period on and off.
It was a long slow winter, but it was much fun.  The mail I
have received proved to me it was well worth it.

o  Live3D which is now standard in the Netscape browser package.

They all work with varying degrees of fidelity on other browsers.  For
example, Internet Explorer will load them and in the case of
Homeground Towers, actually does a better job of reproducing the
original colors.  It does not display the entry world (thingies
orbiting Kate with the russian doll innards) exact but it does
support the spinGroups.  So the "Kate Bush" extruded text rotates
but not the planets.  The Princess of Talos Spacestation has versions
for
Live3D and V-Realm Browser.  For the KateWorlds, use Live3D.

If you gather from this that developing, maintaining and extending
complex VRML Web pages in the current standard du jour environment
is a lot of work, you're right. If one wants to learn the emerging
technology, one works at it.  These worlds were made for entertainment;
not information.

My standard for doing the Kate Worlds are my old issues of
Homeground Towers.  Under Peter and Krys's direction, this fanzine
encourages Kate's fans to submit their original art, stories,
etc. to the magazine.  I've seen some splendid and very detailed
art there.  The idea of Kate-inspired art appeals
to me because it really takes the tone she has set in her work
and gives it new expression.  It is a wonderful service that
pages such as The Garden provide to Kate's fans just as HG Towers
has provided personal insights into Kate's fans, Kate's life, and
her ongoing work.  Blending these with the art her fans make
for her and for themselves is the best and natural evolution of
what we do with our homesteads on the Internet, IMO.

It is in that spirit that the Kate Worlds are created and maintained.
Yes, they take significant computer resources to enjoy, but given the
pace of things, they will soon be quaint and simplistic.  That is the
challenge and the joy.  Fantastic things are possible.  Each of
us is contributing what they can.

cheers,
len bullard