Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Deeper Understanding

From: Anders Hultman <anders@pfawww.pp.se>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 09:32:50 +0000
Subject: Re: Deeper Understanding
To: Gaffa <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Stuart M. Castergine wrote:

> Hay, one of the systems I support has an execute key. Because of that I
> digitized Kate saying "Press  Execute" for a beep sound on my Mac. WE
> have had a running joke for years in our department that has been reduced
> to the shorthand punchline "Hit Execute!" so it was very appropriate.

When I started use Macintoshs in my graphic design class four years ago
we used "Just klick OK" as the solution to every problem, computer related
or not. I still say "Computers are easy, you just klick OK" every now and then.

> > >Hmmm, I say "loading a new program" too, is that wrong?
>
> Keep in mind, as someone else pointed out. This song was written an
> eternity ago in computer years. The terminology was far less standardized
> and developed back then. People referred to software and software
> installation in many, many different ways.

The C64 had a command "CLOAD" for loading programmes from cassette.
I was never lucky enough to have a floppy drive or hard disk, but I
suppose that if you had that you would type "LOAD" instead. Or maybe
"FLOAD" and "HLOAD" respectively.

Load is not equal to install, I'd say. Load is when the computer reads
the software from a secondary memory (ie. hard disk, cassette, diskette
etc) into RAM. On a Fairlight, this takes quite a long time, several
minutes in some cases.

anders
http://www.algonet.se/~anders/