Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: misK

From: maybe the last real beer in america <woj@remus.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:43:06 -0400
Subject: Re: misK
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

also sprach Douglas Alan <nessus@mit.edu>:

>>>    And there aren't any C++ compilers for 286's.

>> Tragic.  Who in their right (or left) mind still wants to use one?

>I dunno.  Ask Chris.  My point, exactly.

i'm writing this on a 286. i'm posting this on a 286. i create my web
pages on a 286. i'm not a luddite. i just haven't spent the money to
buy a faster, bigger, better computer yet, nor, for that matter, have i
needed to.

>And why should I take these things away from the equation?  The fact
>of the matter is that apartheid SHOULD inspire deep repugnance, and
>Netscape-only pages are at most a minor annoyance.

agreed. i'm on chris' side of the fence with respect to this debate,
but the racial bogotry analogy demonstrates the axiom that "all models
are wrong, some models are useful".

>There is plenty of
>material on the Web that I can't access from my Unix computer because
>there is no good QuickTime implementation for Unix, or whatever.

there's a difference between not being able to watch a quicktime movie,
or whatever, and not being able to make any use at all of a web site.

>Using your reasoning, Chris, it would be better
>not to write a Web page at all, unless you had the time and resources
>to make sure that it would work with all browsers.

|>oug, you're confusing yourself by clouding chris' argument with
your feelings re: the apartheid analogy.

the point is not to limit the technology. the point is to not leave the
technology-challenged behind. html has the capability to do this.

_O_ | woj@remus.rutgers.edu