Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Brazil melody question

From: Brent Aliverti <brenta@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 13:10:26 -0700
Subject: Brazil melody question
To: "'love-hounds@gryphon.com'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 11 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Kind of an off-topic question:  Does anyone happen to know if the main
theme in Brazil is based on another piece of music?  The reason I ask is
that I attended a wedding a year or so back, and the music was provided
by a steel drum band of twenty-something musicians- two guys, two gals.
Anyway, one of the numbers they played was a very infectious version of
the main Brazil theme.  It got me to thinking whether they were actually
playing Brazil, or some other piece of music upon which the music in
Brazil was based.  The liner notes for the CD indicate that the music
was composed by Michael Kamen, and don't cite any other pieces on which
the theme is based.  Just curious if anyone knows any more about this
particular music?