Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brazil melody question

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 96 02:22 CDT
Subject: Re: Brazil melody question
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>Kind of an off-topic question:  Does anyone happen to know if the main
>theme in Brazil is based on another piece of music?  The reason I ask is
>that I attended a wedding a year or so back, and the music was provided
>by a steel drum band of twenty-something musicians- two guys, two gals.
>Anyway, one of the numbers they played was a very infectious version of
>the main Brazil theme.  It got me to thinking whether they were actually
>playing Brazil, or some other piece of music upon which the music in
>Brazil was based.  The liner notes for the CD indicate that the music
>was composed by Michael Kamen, and don't cite any other pieces on which
>the theme is based.  Just curious if anyone knows any more about this
>particular music?

    The soundtrack to the film features the theme by Hector Basbanco (sp?)
arranged in a number of different ways by Michael Kamen. The liner notes
on my copy of the soundtrack (500 miles away) discussed the original
Bossa Nova.

   The band was very likely playing the original song. It's probably
the most well known example of the style.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago