Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: words at the end of "The Dreaming"

From: Graham Dombkins <gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 17:32:33 +1000
Subject: Re: words at the end of "The Dreaming"
To: "lovehounds" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

G'day all,

"Birch, Keith" <BIRCK@msmail.acgs.qld.edu.au> sez...
>I understand that the words at the end of the song are part of an Aboriginal
>chant she incorporated. SOrry, don't know how to transliterate them...
>
>K eith B irch
>
>________________
>I have one question concerning the great song "the dreaming"!
>Unfortunately I can't understand the last words of this song (spoken by a
>man's voice). It's not in the leaflet that contains the lyrics :-(
>Does anybody know what the man says ? Does he speak English ?

 I should have answered this earlier... This has been one of those things
that I've always wanted to understand. I actually asked it as my question
to KaTe at the thrid Konvention but it wasn't chosen to be put to her
<deep sigh> ... I have various books on Aboriginal language around me as
I type... I've tired taking apart the sentence as *I* hear it and then
flicking around various books trying to see if I can find words that
match up. What, I *should* do is get myself off to the local Uni and ask,
but that's probably a last ditch thing... Anyway, what do you think of
some of these ideas.. I options for each word in the sentence, what they
mean and the region of Australia that they come from:

First hassle is that the start of the first word is hidden by a "thump"..
I hear it a 'k' sort of sound. What do the rest of you think?

First word
(1) Kore (women) - South Australian
(2) Coorie (spouse) - New South Wales
(3) Koori (people) - New South Wales [this actually then name Eastern
Australian
                                      Aboriginals give for them selves.
They are
                                      'Koori' people]

Second word
(1) Mie (girl) - New South Wales [maybe it's a sort word]
(2) Minkie (daylight) -New South Wales

Third word
(1) Na - [sorry, doesn't seem to be a word]
(2) Kina - [once again, sorry, doesn't seem to be a word]

So that's it so far... hmmm maybe I should just ask somebody who knows
Aboriginal language much better then I do!

            \___/

<mailto:gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gaffa>
"one day my keyboard will learn how to spell!"