Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Kate Cover

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 14:08:33 +0200
Subject: Re: New Kate Cover

Colin Edwards <cedwards@pavilion.co.uk> wrote:
> More details please. Which CD, etc.

The album is named "Goosefair". If you're looking for the WH cover only:
it can be found on the CD single "Can't stop these things" too.

China Drum - Can't Stop These Things       9:57
1)  Can't Stop These Things                3:00
2)  Wuthering Heights                      3:39
3)  Drown It                               3:18
(P) 1996 Mantra Recordings MNT8CD

AFAIK Album and single are released on Mantra in the UK, on "510" in the US.
The "punk rock" version - great fun and certainly worth a listen.

other Wuthering Heights covers I know:

Pat Benatar (album "Crimes of Passion") the "rock ballad" version
    Pat B. is a good singer and does a good job here, but somehow
    the result isn't much more than an average rock ballad.

Angra (album "Angels Cry") the "metal ballad" version
    Angra fans forgive me, but I don't like it. Compared to Pat Benatar,
    this version seems softer, overproduced, and their singer, well,
    reaches the high notes but doesn't always hit them.

White Flag (on sampler "Freedom of Choice") the "new wave" version
    this one is interesting: They are using Kate's lyrics, but completely
    different music (anybody recognized the music?)

Ataraxia (album "Il Fantasmo dell'Opera") the "gothic wave" version
    Instrumentation (drums and organ synth) and singer Francesca Nicoli's
    mezzo-soprano(?) voice add a somewhat scary feel.
    It's from a concept album about the phantom of the opera (based on a
    book and not on Webber's musical), has slightly adapted lyrics
    ("It's me, Christine...") and a new title: "La nuova Margherita".

bye,
Rolf