Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Animal Sounds

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 02:27:12 -0700
Subject: Re: Kate Animal Sounds

ScottWeb wrote:

> The last tracks on both The Dreaming and TSW have vocals that (to me)
> sound like animals.  Get Out of My House has "eee-aww" which reminds me
> of a donkey. Walk Straight Down the Middle has "brooo-ahh, brooo-ahh" a
> birdlike sound.  Any info or speculation on what these represent?

Well in "Get Out Of My House," she "turns into the mule" before
all the 'eee-aww's begin. The male and female vocals are
escalating -- he is saying amorous, invasive things, and she
keeps "slamming doors" on him. The imagery I got out of "turns
into the mule" is that she becomes obstinate and uncooperative
like a mule. (Mules are famous for 'acting up').

I've always thought this song was about a rape; the house is her
body and she's doing everything in her power to keep him at bay.
"No stranger's feet will enter me" versus all the sexual imagery
that he sings at the end...but of course, this is only MHO.

I've never 'gotten' "Walk Straight Down The Middle," so I've no
opinion to offer on this one. The "broo-ahh"'s are, however, my
favorite part of the song, and I like that she represents them
as notes on the lyric sheet.

Incidentally, there are animal sounds in many of Kate's songs,
including "The Dreaming" (birds at the end and what sounds like
goats in the chorus), "And Dream of Sheep" (seagulls), "Big
Stripey Lie" (monkeys after "wild animals loose in here") but I
guess you are talking about animal sounds that she makes with
her own voice?

Robb