Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffaweb

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 12:46 CDT
Subject: Re: Gaffaweb
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Len Bullard wrote:

>Xenu's Sister wrote:

>> Someone else will have to answer you on this one. I know there
>> will be sound files, but what kind, I don't know. If you want some
>> of this other fancy stuff, join the gaffaweb mailing list and
>> spend the next month working on it :-). Write to Bill at
>> wisner@gryphon.com. What I'm personally working on doesn't
>> require plugins, which is why I don't know.

>Ok.  Didn't know there was such a thing.  Most of my
>time is spent doing VRML modeling at the moment.

   There are some WAV files at the moment. Personally I'm in favor of
looking at some of the compressed, lossy formats, but I haven't had the
time to contribute to it. Maybe later we can look at MPEG audio, or
another lossy format that has players for every platform.

>> > 2.  Will this be a Netscape-enhanced page?
>>
>> Yes, but we're also trying to make it as Lynx-friendly as possible.

   The effort has been (definitly on Vickie's part) to only use HTML 3.2.
If you follow the spec, the page will degrade well to Lynx and AOL and
everything on the market.

>Ok.  That's one for enhanced and one against.  The reason I
>ask is that Netscape allows the use of Javascript which
>enables some sophisticated work such as interactive user
>input.  For example, I was building a LoveHounds test
>that tests knowledge of Kate and rates the entrant, all in fun.

   So do traditional CGI forms. This site is *so* large that
maintanance would be a problem. By avoiding the software "flavor
of the month" (Java, LiveScript, ActiveX) in favor of server-side
solutions, we can make everything work for everyone.

>> > 6.  Has anyone told Kate yet?
>>
>> Not that I know, but I really doubt she'd care.

>That's sad for kate.  I'd always heard she cared
>a great deal about her fans.  Since she won't tour
>and puts out an album every epoch or so, activities
>like Gaffaweb are pretty vital.

   I agree with Vickie. I've said this several hundred times,
but it bears repeating...

   Kate Bush is not a "Kate Bush Fan"

   She cares, yes, but does she understand our individual and
collective mindset? I don't think so. I really doubt that the
site (or any Kate site) will be very interesting to her. The
fact that the Sony Kate page is so poor, and the EMI Kate page
is non-existant, speaks volumes. If she were interested in the web,
she'd probably push to improve *that* situation first.

   This isn't being made for Kate.

   It's being made for *us*.

>thanks for the info.  I may wait to see what y'all
>have going since too many cooks is usually a bad
>idea unless they are rather tight friends.  The
>Kate Worlds have been consuming and I have more to
>do there.

   The quality and *quantity* of the work done, especially by
Vickie, is astonishing. It has to be seen to be believed.
--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago