Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffaweb

From: "Xenu's Sister" <vickie@miso.wwa.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:12:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Gaffaweb
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Beware: of Scientology and Diantetics
Sender: owner-love-hounds
Web: http://miso.wwa.com/~vickie/

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Chris Williams wrote:

> Len Bullard wrote:
>
> >Xenu's Sister wrote:
>
> >> Someone else will have to answer you on this one. I know there
> >> will be sound files, but what kind, I don't know. If you want some
> >> of this other fancy stuff, join the gaffaweb mailing list and
> >> spend the next month working on it :-). Write to Bill at
> >> wisner@gryphon.com. What I'm personally working on doesn't
> >> require plugins, which is why I don't know.
>
> >Ok.  Didn't know there was such a thing.  Most of my
> >time is spent doing VRML modeling at the moment.

It's been mentioned on LH/gaffa several times, but it's not too
late. If you have something you want to contribute to the project,
you still have a month to do it. In this case, too many cooks
do *not* spoil the dish, but make it into a full-course dinner.

> >> Yes, but we're also trying to make it as Lynx-friendly as possible.
>
>    The effort has been (definitly on Vickie's part) to only use HTML 3.2.
> If you follow the spec, the page will degrade well to Lynx and AOL and
> everything on the market.

I'm using Kate-related backgrounds, so that leaves out Lynx users and
AOL'ers right there, but the information is there, so the backgrounds
don't matter, except as an added bonus (if people like them, that is)
for those who can see them.

Images will abound, but they'll be linked so that Lynx users can
download them if they want.

The only "Netscapeism" I plan on doing is putting the FAQ into
Frames. However, it'll be presented as a choice, rather than the
only way to view the FAQ. And it's not a priority item. (Talking
about Frames, not the FAQ!)

> >> Not that I know, but I really doubt she'd care.
>
> >That's sad for kate.  I'd always heard she cared
> >a great deal about her fans.  Since she won't tour
> >and puts out an album every epoch or so, activities
> >like Gaffaweb are pretty vital.

Not vital for Kate. This site is not meant to increase either
her presence on the web or sell more of her albums. It's meant
as a service and tribute to Kate fans. Anything beyond that
would just be icing.

>    I agree with Vickie. I've said this several hundred times,
> but it bears repeating...
>
>    Kate Bush is not a "Kate Bush Fan"
>
>    She cares, yes, but does she understand our individual and
> collective mindset? I don't think so. I really doubt that the
> site (or any Kate site) will be very interesting to her. The
> fact that the Sony Kate page is so poor, and the EMI Kate page
> is non-existant, speaks volumes. If she were interested in the web,
> she'd probably push to improve *that* situation first.
>
>    This isn't being made for Kate.
>
>    It's being made for *us*.

Yup.

> >thanks for the info.  I may wait to see what y'all
> >have going since too many cooks is usually a bad
> >idea unless they are rather tight friends.  The
> >Kate Worlds have been consuming and I have more to
> >do there.
>
>    The quality and *quantity* of the work done, especially by
> Vickie, is astonishing. It has to be seen to be believed.

(He loves me :-)) I should point out that there is a group of
us working on different parts of the gaffaweb, and together
we're making sure it'll be cool. I should also add that if it
weren't for Wonderfans Uli, Wieland and IED, I'd hardly have
anything to do, since most of what I'm doing is html'izing
stuff they did. Uli's wonderful FAQ, and Wieland's truly
*amazing* trilogy of Phoenix, Moments and Dreaming, as well
as Andy's fantastic Garden (already html'ized by woj) will
make up a large part of the Gaffaweb. But there will also
be tons of images, many sound files, the Discography, a
Kate Dictionary, video scans and other things. It's a group
effort through and through.

Vickie (I love him too!)