Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(RE: (Fwd) More stuff from Sean

From: "SEAN TWOMEY (ARCHAEOLOGY) PG" <TWOMEYS@acadamh.ucd.ie>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:55:41 +0100 (BST)
Subject: (RE: (Fwd) More stuff from Sean
To: Love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Date:          Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:24:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:          Kelley.Hays-Gilpin@nau.edu
To:            rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

Kelley wrote :

>Thanks, Sean for keeping us up-dated on Irish reviews/reations
>to Common Ground.  I was shocked to actually find a copy here
>in Country-Western land (northern Arizona), filed under Rock
>at our local chain store (Hastings).  I'm enjoying most of it
>(Costello, Spillane&Lunny, and Liam O Maonlai and Kate's the
>best but you knew I'd agree with that).  Some of it's kind of
>boring--almost Muzak w/pipes (shannon).  I liked Sinead, too.

>I think my favorite besides Kate is Cathain by Liam O Maonlai,
>which includes masterful use of a didgeridoo (spelling?
>ya know, that Australian item).  Does anybody know anything
>about this artist?

>cheers,
>Kelley

You're not going to believe this Kelley, but I actually bumped into
Liam O Maonlai a few weeks ago in a coffee shop in Dublin with his
georgeous 3 month old son Cian . I complimented him on Cathain and
he rather humbly asserted that the whole album was excellent . I
asked him if it was a traditional tune and he told me that it was a
song a friend of his wrote on Sandymount beach here in Dublin.
I also congratulated him on his current TV series on RTE television
called Sin E E which explores the healing aspects of Irish traditional
music ......... It's a great show .
Liam is a very famous person in Ireland as he is the lead singer with
a band called The Hot House Flowers who have been very successful
even outside of Ireland ....... check out their albums People, Home and
Songs From The Rain .I might add that Liam is one of the nicest, most
talented people you could hope to meet (after Kate !).
I totally agree with you about his song, it is my second favourite !

SEAN : )