Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (What's the Story) Mourning Stev0

From: 10mm@mbay.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:24:17 GMT
Subject: Re: (What's the Story) Mourning Stev0
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 18 Jun 1996 06:50:02 -0700, nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk (Neil Calton) wrote:

>>Rhetorical question of the day:  Did you ever wonder what
>>Oasis would sound like if they had any talent?
>>- - Stev0 the Katespotter
>
>Hello,
>	Well we all know poor Stev0 suffered terribly when
>the spammers were filling this forum with their waffle. Some
>of us decided to roll with it but Stev0 retreated to try and recover
>his mind. Hey now - he's back but sadly it appears that the
>effects of the spam attacks have left him seriously damaged.
>Some might say  deranged: having lost his infamous ability
>to spot true genius in the music sphere. Cast no shadow
>over this once great Lovehound - he of course still
>reconises Kate's talents but we all know she's electric.
>How he can fail to spot that Oasis have true talent and
>are destined to take the World by storm is truely bewieldering.
>I could compare them with exciting young groups from the USA.
>Oh, I forgot, there aren't any! Oh well, don't look back in anger
>Stev0 just go out and buy the albums. And I think: by now you
>should've somehow realised what you gotta do.
>
>Today is gonna be the day! :-)
>
>Neil
>--
>
>Neil Calton                                       INTERNET:  nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
>Computing & Information           JANET:     nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
>Systems Department                      BITNET:    nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@ukacrl
>Rutherford Appleton Lab.            Tel: +44 1235 44 5740
>Chilton, Didcot, Oxon                    Fax: +44 1235 44 5893
>OX11 0QX , England

Hi!,
     Sorry but I have to agree with StevO, no substance, fluff and
hooks.My significant other asks why I hold them in near contempt
(which in fact I do), pointing out that there is much worst out there.
I had to agree with that. I think the difference lies in the premise
that the lesser bands never carry a pretense of greatness. Whenever I
view Oasis' videos on TV I can just sense the singer's attitude of
"look at me, I'm the cat's ass!" Maybe some of the fault is due to
some critics raising the band to that (imaginary) plateau. I'm by no
means trying to lessen your enjoyment of their or any music, I
personally don't get it,(my wife does).IMHO I believe that StevO
hasn't lost his "infamous ability to spot true genius in the music
sphere." it just didn't happen to correspond with your assessment
(this time).Just my opinion and you know what they say about those...
.. :-> I'll be the first to admit that my general preference falls in
the British music camp, even if we excluded Catherine the Great
(heaven forbid!!). There are some American acts that in my estimation
belong in a tier above Oasis. Here goes:

Mathew Sweet
Dave Mathews Band
Live
Garbage (yes I know the singer is Scottish)

Granted, none of these are considered "great" per se (except possibly
Mathew Sweet--purely crafted pop), So I almost have to agree with your

estimation of "exciting young groups in the USA" :~<
My feeling is if you want to hear excellent British albeit not so
young music try Richard Thompson or Joan Armatrading, yes I'm aware
she's originally from the west indies, but quite British nontheless.
Looking forward to seeing them both on the same bill next month in
Berkeley (California).
                                 sincerely,
                                                David A Stewart