Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Five Faves

From: David Hyland <djh@deakin.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:17:32 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Five Faves
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi, it's David here (you know, the one who posted that first "name your
five fave artists" post).  The response has been incredible!  You know,
it might not be a totally Kate-related topic, but interesting none the
less.

I'll just tell you a bit about myself, as I'm *fairly* new around here,
having first subscribed to LoveHounds a little over a month ago and
usually a lurker.

I was first introduced to Kate Bush in 1991.  A friend was playing "Under
Ice" and "Waking the Witch" in his car and I was mesmerized!  "Who is
this woman?" I asked him, and once he told me, I knew that before long
I'd own all her CDs.

Anyway, he copied his CDs for me onto tape and I played them over and
over till they'd worn out.  I think "The Ninth Wave" got the most
airplay!  (Until I actually bought the CD, I was sure "Under Ice" and
"Waking the Witch" was one song!)

I bought the "This Woman's Work" boxed set in 1994, and I play it over
and over.  I love it- (I just couldn't respond to the 5 worst Kate songs,
because they all occupy a special place in my heart).  The Hounds of Love
and The Kick Inside get the most airplay.  I find The Kick Inside is
really good to listen to just before going to sleep.  Something about the
whale song at the start, and the soothing quality of the final song...

My fave Kate songs (in no particular order) are:
The Jig of Life
Under Ice/ Waking the Witch (I know, it's 2 songs, but I can't separate them)
Lord of the Reedy River
Under the Ivy
Leave it Open (I love the bit where it gets heavy!)
Lily
The Song of Solomon
Cloudbusting
Love and Anger
Deeper Understanding (I turn to my computer...)

Well, I could go on, but I won't.

Peace,
David.