Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re:Hope I haven't mucked up your email :)

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 07:01:12 +0200 (MET DST)
Subject: Re:Hope I haven't mucked up your email :)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

David Hyland wrote:

>I'm just interested in what kind of cross-section of the community
>listens to Kate.  What I thought I would do is ask you for your top 5
>artists/bands other than Kate.  I'll get the ball rolling...

Ok, my first choice (even outranking Kate by close mariginal)
clearly outdistance the other ones, that are placed in no
specific order:

1: Magnum  (especially older albums, they lost some of their
            originality on their later albums, after -90)

the rest:

Yes
Queen
Queensr˙che
Marillion

Obviously you can't compare Kate and Magnum. Yet they both touch
and stir deep feelings within, but in different ways. I require
different moods for them. One common thing though, is their
tendency to paint pictures in my mind with their story-telling.
Lyrics play an importent role for me, as well as how the
lyrics are incorporated with the music. And how the instruments
interact. Exellent examples from Magnum are Firebird (Magnum II) and
The Great Disaster (Eleventh hour). The lyrics of Soldier of the Line
is pure poetry!
Good exampels from Kate that has that special effect:
Egypy, Coffee Homeground, Hammer Horror, The Dreaming, and
the greatest of them all: UNDER ICE!
Under Ice puts a lump in my throat and water my eyes every single time!

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
                                            mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se
                                                   a94mikja@ida.his.se