Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

To the one with "Between A Man..." as number 1 on worst list

From: barnster@ix.hell.com (barnster)
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 19:40:27 GMT
Subject: To the one with "Between A Man..." as number 1 on worst list
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 29 May 1996 15:39:35 -0700, Kelley.Hays-Gilpin@nau.edu wrote:

>I love best and worst lists, but think I'm failing the quiz here--
>can't seem to cram 5 into either category.  My best try--
>1.  Cloudbusting--the first Kate song for me, and I loved the video.
>We in Arizona have a soft spot for Wilhelm Reich, too--he was concerned
>about groundwater pollution in Tucson 30 years before anybody else (
>the military was flying planes thru radioactive clouds following bomb
>tests, then washing the planes in Tucson, letting the watter trickle
>into the ground).
>2.  Love and Anger--when I was really, really depressed a few years
>ago, it just kept rattling thru my head (if you can't tell your
>sister, if you can't tell a priest, can you tell it to your heart)
>till I got help.
>3.  The 9th Wave.  All of it.  (see? I can't follow the rules on this)
>4.  The Dreaming.
>4.  The Dreaming (if I did that twice it was my usenet reader program,
>sorry.  Because "the pull of the bush" is something we have around here
>too--the native spiritual connection to the land, the desert).
>5.  Them Heavy People
>6.  The Kick Inside
>
>Worst:
>1.  Between a Man and a Woman
>2. Heads We're Dancing
>3. Top of the City
>4.  Why should I love you
>5.  You're the One
>(hey!  I found five!  not fair, though, I'd should give "Lionheart"
>another listen...)
>
>cheers,
>Kelley
>
>p.s. what is "The Lord of the Reedy River" or something like that,
>on somebody
>'s worst list--where and when did that appear?

Man oh man, is "Between A Man And A Woman" that bad?  I find it hard
to believe it would top someone's worst list.  It's one song I listen
to often still. A gorgeous song--everything from the singing to the
strings to the drums...  It's one reason why TSW is my favorite album.
For me, it tops "Hounds Of Love" despite the "Ninth Wave."  But it's
always fun to discuss favorite and least favorite songs.  What makes
people interesting are individual tastes.  Well, give the song a few
more listens.  It actually took me three years to appreciate it, and
now, it's one of my top five!!!

Sincerely,
barnster

PS  Your "Lionheart" bit above is too funny!