Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: common ground...

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 11:46:32 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: common ground...
To: "GR. Wyatt" <G.R.Wyatt@Bristol.ac.uk>
cc: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 23 May 1996, GR. Wyatt wrote:

> What's going on?
>
> A new Kate Bush track has been on sale for four whole days, yet there
> hasn't been the slightest peep from anyone on this newsgroup about it.

There was an advert for "Common Ground" on Channel 4 last night, with
several tracks playing in the background... the first was Kate's!!!!!!!
Possibly some sort of indication that it'll be the first single? If it
is, maybe we'll be treated to some new B-side material like with the
"Rocket Man" single (okay, so it was a cover on the B-side too, but it
was still new in a certain sense). Anyway, about "Mna Na H-Eireann", I
immediately skipped all the other tracks to hear it, and when the strings
played at the beginning I immediately thought it was going to be some
sort of epic story (I hadn't read the inlay's translation by then). Great
song, though I have doubts that it will be successful if it is a single.
However, who really cares because "The Dreaming" wasn't exactly popular
among non-KT fans, and we all know how good that is. Anyway, the other
tracks on the album are quite good, but I think Kate's is the most
ambitious considering all the effort she has put into singing it in Gaelic.

Alan.